14 Ways to Make Money Online
Do not underestimate the skills you have! Transform any talent or passion you have into something online. Some excellent options to make money online are:
1. Sell a product
Are you an artist or a creator? Set up a store on platforms like Etsy to sell your products. For instance: jewelry, hand-printed t-shirts, or framed artwork. This is an excellent way to monetize your creativity!
2. Share & Teach Skills
You may already have solid skills or be super passionate about something. For example, you are a hairdresser, yoga teacher, a fitness instructor, or can play an instrument.
Putting these skills online means people from all over the world can find and purchase your classes. You have the flexibility to do this from the comfort home, or whilst traveling. Because of this, it’s a really successful way of making money online.
Tip: Offer your skills via Patreon, YouTube, or Skype sessions.
3. Make Money Online by Writing
If you have an interest in travel, lifestyle, or fashion, then start a blog and share it! Another idea is to use your knowledge to make an e-book that you can market and sell online. Take a look at our e-book about Sri Lanka.
4. Use Platforms like Patreon
Patreon is an excellent platform if you already have a client list or fan base. People pay a set amount per month for benefits, such as access to new weekly tutorial videos, the first look at online merchandise, or exclusive discounts for products you offer.
5. Sell Unwanted Things Online
Websites like Facebook Marketplace, eBay, and United Wardrobe are a useful tool to sell some of your unwanted things. For example, the clothes you no longer wear or books that you’ve already read.
Another fun thing to do is to try and ‘upcycle’ your items. This is the process of taking something broken, unused, or unwanted and using creative ways to transform them into high-quality objects that you can then sell online. For example: using old wine crates to create attractive shelving units.
Do you have a special eye for detail and an excellent level of language? The are many jobs that will pay good money to have important documents edited and proofread. Because of the high demand, this is a really easy way to benefit from your academic skills financially.
7. Make Money Online as a Translator
If you speak more than one language, there are some exciting projects to be found. Make money online by translating articles for websites, books, Netflix series, or even films.
8. Virtual Assistant
Making money online as a virtual assistant could be the perfect job for you if you have organizational skills. It’s effectively the PA of the internet because it usually involves doing administrative tasks for businesses or individuals. It can be anything from managing emails to PR and marketing.
9. Social Media Manager
Social media platforms such as Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube are hugely influential platforms for marketing and are always developing. A lot of companies now hire people specifically to manage their social media. As a result, this is an ideal job if you’re interested in marketing, campaigns, and advertising.
10. Make a Podcast
Do you want to help people to learn? Have a funny story to tell? A podcast can be a fun way of making money online. Consequently, podcasts are becoming a popular option for people who are looking to build a following, in a way outside of using the usual social media channels. Many successful podcasts now make money through advertising and selling merchandise.
Note: Success is not going to happen overnight, but believe in yourself, what you have to offer, and keep going!
11. Start a YouTube Channel
A creative way to kickstart your online career is by making a YouTube channel to show off your skills or interests. Create a video of literally any hobby you can think of, cooking, doing make-up, or play an instrument. Not only is this a great way to build a fan base, but if you build up enough subscribers, you will be able to monetize your content through advertising.
12. Create a Webinar or Course
Many business coaches, public speaking coaches, and life coaches are now putting their courses online by making webinars. Because of this, it’s relatively easy to find a platform to use that suits your content. Start by thinking of what kind of audience you are trying to reach—for example, university, school, or business. Then you can think of a fair price for customers to have access to your online content.
13. Start a Facebook Community
Have you got a good idea to bring together a community of people? There are a ton of helpful Facebook groups, such as digital nomad communities, ex-pat communities, communities of artists and creators, and plenty more! By making a group and growing a following in the community, you can build a ready-made marketplace to sell your ideas and products. It is also a great place to generate ideas. It’s effectively a free focus group!
A good example is our Facebook Group: Salt in our Hair – Travel Community, where people answer each other’s travel-related questions.
14. Teach a Language!
Teaching English is an excellent way of making money online or working from home. As long as you have a good internet connection, you can take the job anywhere, so it’s a great option if you’re looking to travel and get into the digital nomad lifestyle. Also, teaching a language online is an awesome way to work online, with lots of social interaction and structure!
Best Websites to Help You Make Money Online
It’s becoming increasingly popular to make money online, which means that there are now endless search engines, dedicated entirely to finding online/remote jobs. Some good ones to try are:
- We Work Remotely
- Working Nomads
- No Desk Project
- Remote Work Hub
- Flex Job
Other ways of marketing yourself and your skills are by using websites like these:
- LinkedIn – a company favorite and the Facebook of the workplace. The website allows you to set up a profile, linking you to previous companies and showcasing your skills for future employers to see.
- Upwork – a website for freelancers! Make a profile detailing your specialties. You can then apply for projects or people will hire you to undertake the project. You can set your hourly price.
- Fiverr– an online marketplace for freelance services. Similar to Upwork.
- Patreon – for artists and creators. This platform allows you to showcase your skills, secret content, and added bonuses for fans, in return for a monthly subscription. This is an excellent way of making money, while not losing the creative process.
- Skillshare – share your educational videos and courses to a community of fee-paying subscribers looking to learn a new skill
(Click to get 30% off Skillshare).
- Facebook Communities – joining remote job communities, or digital nomad groups on Facebook is a great way to see what kind of jobs are out there or what is the expected rate of pay for your type of job. Users mainly post questions and queries, however often they will also post jobs. A great way of finding a job and meeting new people!
Skills Needed to Make Money Online
The positives of making money online are endless, so if you thrive off flexibility, independence, and creative freedom, then this is the right way to work for you! However, it’s good to keep in mind that with online work, there is sometimes less routine, fewer boundaries, and typically you’ll work alone. This means you’ll need to be/have:
- Organized – choosing to work online, gives you the freedom to manage your schedule. As a result, you’ll need to be very organized to keep to deadlines.
- Proactive – sometimes you won’t always be able to talk to a colleague/boss, so you’ll need to be proactive in taking the first step with tasks.
- Time-Management Skills – divide your day up into projects, so that you don’t spend too much time on one thing, and forget about others.
- Focused – working online means you can be easily distracted with personal matters. Because of this, it’s a good idea to use resources, like timers, or music, to help you stay focused on work.
- Motivated – It can be easy to stay in your pajamas and get out of bed late when working from home. Stay motivated by following a routine, setting yourself practical goals, and reward yourself at the end of finishing a project.
- A Good Communicator – working alone, means you may need to stay in contact with your colleagues or boss. To maintain these relationships, it’s crucial to have excellent communication skills, so things do not get lost in translation.
Tip: There are very few ‘negatives’ of making money online; however, if you do find problems, these can all be solved through simple tips, like joining a co-working space or establishing work from home rules for yourself.
Do Your Prep Before Making Money Online
Before you start scrolling through job sites, it’s a good idea to be ready to apply for the job you want, so that you stand out as the best candidate! To do this, you’ll need to:
- Make sure your resume is up to date with your correct job history. Include relevant skills, interests, and projects you are working on, or have been credited for.
- Make your resume stand out! Tailor it to the job you are applying for. For example, if the job is creative, use color and high-quality graphics to make it look attractive.
- Have a portfolio to show. Depending on the job, you may need to show a collection of previous work. For instance, if you’re a photographer, put together your work in an aesthetically pleasing way. If you’re a writer, make sure your work is edited entirely and ready to read. In summary, put together your portfolio in a unique way that will make you stand out from the crowd.
- Research the company well! Make sure you are ready for all questions that may be asked, be confident, and make it visible how passionate you are about the brand/company.
- Make an impressive business plan. If you’re starting on your own, research and seek advice about common practice, and the audience you are trying to reach.
- Think about marketing yourself. Plan how you will advertise your business effectively to make money online.
You can do this. Good luck!
When you purchase something through our links we earn a small fee. However, you still pay the same. Win-win!
- Find Hotels via Booking.com
- Find a Rental Car via Sunny Cars
- Find Cheap Flights via Skyscanner
- Get a Travel Insurance via Heymondo
- Book Tours & Attractions via Viator
- Book a Bus/Train/Transfer via 12Go
Looking for more travel information? Plan a chat with us for personalised travel advice or get an answer from the Salt in our Hair Travel Community on Facebook.